Croatia (Dubrovnik) - Old Town & Island hopping

Croatia is an absolutely magical place, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. There are endless unique little islands and sometimes I felt like I must surely be somewhere outside of Europe. Perfect for gorgeous views, island hopping, plus Game of Thrones fans can get their fix and see some of the filming locations!

This trip is a week in total starting in Dubrovnik and ending in Split with a day trip to Mostar thrown in.

 

Flying into Dubrovnik airport, there is a very handy bus run by the Platanus travel agency that goes straight to the Old Town (Ploče Gate) or the main bus terminal in Gruž. You don't need to pre-book tickets, just go to the Platanus counter at the airport when you arrive, and buses harmonise with flight arrival times. Croatia now uses the Euro, which can bump up prices unfortunately, especially in touristic areas.


I picked a hostel right in the middle of the Old Town in Dubrovnik, with fairytale old buildings and quaint narrow streets either side. My hostel acted as a great nearby base for if I needed to refill my water bottle or use the toilet during the day when exploring nearby. As a female, I always go for the 4 bed, female only multi-share option as I find it's the best mix of budget friendly but not too chaotic.

A word of warning though, I went on this trip in late September (off season), however I've heard Old Town can be an absolute tourist magnet during the main times of the year and get super busy. However there are lots of beautiful places outside of the main tourist trail if you are planning on going in peak season.


The first thing I like to do when I arrive in a new country is go on a 'free' walking tour. For those who have never done one, its the best thing ever! They're not technically free, they're tip based (you pay what you think the tour is worth at the end). Its usually 2-3hr with a local, who will take you round the top places in the area. 

You'll get local opinions and info that you wont get on your traditional pre-paid tour. For example, our guide was explaining the hardships of tourism in the old town meaning that locals no longer live there. Google 'free walking tour' and your location, you'll find what companies are available. You always need to pre-book your space in advance online and bring cash for the 'tip' at the end.


For this trip I challenged myself to arrive without much of an itinerary, and to figure it out as I went. The free walking tours really help me get a sense of the city and get ideas of what to do whilst from the knowledgeable guide. Also because you'll be in a group, it's an opportunity to meet new friends who are also travelling solo! 

I'm generally more of an activity and hiking person rather than a museum and history person. I only had a few days in Dubrovnik so I decided I wanted to;
  • Visit Locum island by ferry
  • Book a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina 
  • Explore Old Town 

If you go the the Old Town Port there are lots of boat companies with stalls offering different boat trips. There is a main stall where you can buy tickets to go on the ferry to Lokrum island, which is the nearest island to the Old Town. 

Its a lovely little boat ride which departs regularly. It'll drop you on the island which you can explore at your leisure, and take whichever return ferry back you like. Stijene rocks and the dead sea (shown on the island map as you arrive) where the highlights! There is also a GOT throne and exhibition on for any fans of the T.V show! 


I saw a woman of similar age taking a selfie on the rocks at Lokrum. I asked her if she would like me to take a photo for her. I often do this as its a great way to open conversations and potentially make new friends. 

The woman was lovely and we ended up spending the day taking pictures together on Lokrum and I got to hear her story. Sometimes you just get the vibe that the person just wants some alone time, and that's ok too. Taking pictures of yourself as a solo traveller can be tricky, so its always nice to offer to help others if you get the opportunity.


All in all, there is more than enough to keep you busy in the Old Town. I'd say getting a boat trip and walking tour booked in would be a great start. You can go with whatever else peaks your personal interest whilst you're there, plus there are loads of lovely outdoor cafes and restaurants down little alleys. I could have stayed a few more days easily. 

If you want to explore further, there are regular buses that go from outside the Old Town main gate to the the main bus terminal in Gruž. From there you can get ferries or buses anywhere you want to go. 

To be continued in Croatia (Split) and see the Mostar day trip in a separate post.

Happy exploring! 🏰⛵🏖️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Croatia (Split) - Boat trips and Plitvice lakes

Australia (Brisbane) - Koalas and the beautiful city