Croatia (Split) - Boat trips and Plitvice lakes
As promised, here is part 2 of the Croatia adventure! Go and take a cheeky look at part 1 in Dubrovnik if you haven't already. For some reason I hadn't booked my transport from Dubrovnik to Split until the day before I was due to leave, but thankfully It wasn't too challenging... a little stress is all part of the adventure... right?
From outside Old Town Dubrovnik, there are lots of buses to the main bus terminal in Gruž. From here you can get transport to the rest of the country. Admittedly I didn't really realise that It was going to be a 4+ hour coach journey either (it looked closer on the map). I was actually very surprised by the journey as it was extremely beautiful along costal roads. If you're a little more organised you can also get a ferry across.
Split was really lovely. Lots of restaurants by the sea, plus an old town and a harbour. There is a Game of Thrones museum there too, however I wouldn't say its anything amazing, just something fun to fill 30mins of time.
I was doing a budget friendly trip so I stayed at a local hostel and I was selective about where I ate. I was definitely getting really sick of those fast-food type places by the end. I actually managed to find one place which sold salad and protein bowls near my hostel which saved me! I usually pick hostels that provide breakfast too if I can, you can save a lot of money filling up on a free breakfast in the morning.
If you go to the harbour there are lots of boat trips being advertised by companies to the little nearby islands (I do love a good boat trip). I picked a boat trip that went the Island of Šolta and so you could explore the little village of Maslinica, then went on to the Blue Lagoon, with some sea swimming opportunities and lunch included. A really nice day all in all, lots of options to choose from which you can book when you arrive.
The highlight of this trip though was definitely Plitvice lakes! I booked online though an agency website 'Get Your Guide', and the tour departed from Split centre. I booked this in advance as they sell out. A word of warning though, I did this trip in early October so it was very quiet in the park, but I've heard it can be carnage in peak season, rammed with tourists. If you get the chance, definitely go midweek to avoid crowds.
The Plitvice lake park was absolutely stunning. The water was so clear and green you could see straight to the bottom. Plus the guide told us the water was so clean you could drink it right out of the lake. Honestly I'd not seen a place quite like this before. The waterfalls reduce and increase in size depending on the recent rain, and the foliage in the park changes with the season. A fantastic end to the trip.
I flew home via Split airport back to the UK. I'd say Croatia is definitely underrated and there was a lot more to do than I had time for. I will be back in future to explore more of the little islands and go a little further off the tourist trail. The locals are lovely there too and its a safe and beautiful country, very good for a solo female traveller.
Happy trip planning! x









Comments
Post a Comment